The Associate Dean for Practice reports to the Dean of the School of Nursing and provides
strategic vision and leadership for the School of Nursing’s practice and community engagement
agenda. The individual in this role also works closely with the associate deans for education and
research/innovation to assure the integration of practice, education, and research in keeping with
the School’s mission. Further, they will work closely with CNO’s within the community,
including LIFE, the Penn Health Systems, CHOP, the VAMC and others to advance and
synergize practice priorities and to establish partnerships with clinical practice colleagues across
The Associate Dean for Practice will be a member of the Dean’s senior leadership team and, as
such, is expected to participate and contribute to the overall strategic goals of the School. She/he
will work closely with and will develop partnerships with clinical leaders at UPHS, in the
community, other schools (both within and outside the University), and other appropriate offices
at the University.
Provide strategic direction for the School’s practice and community engagement
initiatives including the integration of practice/community engagement with the School’s
education and research/innovation agendas, LIFE practice, and the School’s
- Work with CNO’s, LIFE, and others within the Penn Health System to advance the
integration of evidence based practice, as well as to advance research, scholarship, and
- Serve as a leader in building and fostering interprofessional practice relationships and
- Represent the School of Nursing to Chief Nursing Officers and other senior managers at
LIFE, University of Pennsylvania Health System, The Children’s Hospital of
Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center and other partners
and affiliates in Philadelphia to foster the School’s mission.
- Assist the Dean in developing collaborations with university leaders, public and private
partners, and policy and political agencies to advance the School’s practice/community
- Collaborate with the Dean, Associate Deans, Department Chairs, and other administrators
in executing responsibilities and policies for practice including the allocation and
utilization of collaborative practice sites, space, and resources appropriate to the practice
- Work with the Department Chairs in mentoring and facilitating the development of the
faculty at all levels, with specific efforts targeted to support Clinician Educators.
- Participate in external and internal review processes of the School of Nursing’s
accreditation and other reviews.
- Act as an Alternate to the Dean when needed.
Qualified Candidates will have a research doctorate and be eligible for appointment at the
Associate Professor or Professor rank (tenure track or clinician educator) necessitating the
requirement for a well-developed program of research or other scholarship that has had
significant impact on the field.
Contact: Dr. Patricia D'Antonio, Department Chair